Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Resort 2013

DKNY

I feel very mixed about this collection. A lot of the individual pieces were great, especially the maroon blazer on the far left, the leather jacket in the third look above (leather is hard for me to ignore), and the contrast leather sleeve trench (again, leather is everything to me). My main problem with this collection is the styling. Much of it is fine, but many of the looks are styled so that there are several visible hemlines of shirts and tops. Like, lets tuck some shirts in! And black tights just feel too UES for the look of the clothes. But, that being said, the maroon that was central to many looks is just great.



Erdem

You're going to have to excuse me for a hot second, I'm currently dying over these patterns! It's like Erdem put the best prints from the fall collections on crack and acid. Every looks is overwhelming in the best possible way. I cannot wait to see what the shoes look like up close. Both Erdem and DKNY continued the fall trend of bright colors in cooler, darker hues.


Just Cavalli

This collection was kind of a hot mess. It was a mix of some pieces that I loved with a bunch of pieces I hated and lots of pieces that felt too familiar to other collections. Lets start with the pieces I loved. The white leather jacket killed me, as did the white crocodile-skin pieces (jacket and pants shown above) in the collection. The floral blazer shows on the right is also so good. It’s hard for me not to fall in love with a fun printed blazer. A large amount of the collection reminded me too much of other designer’s work though, especially the look on the left above (Versace, particularly their collection for H&M) and the looks with symmetrical floral patterns (Givenchy). All in all, I wasn’t the biggest fan of this collection, though some pieces stood out from the rest.


Oscar de la Renta

What to even say? This was Resort perfection. Amazing colors, amazing patterns, amazing textures, amazing Oscar. The collection moved from black and white to a parade of colors. Most dresses featured either a floral pattern or texture or a checked pattern like gingham. The way Oscar translated floral patterns into textures on the dresses was unreal. Then the green dress that looks like a flower itself…What even? The dresses shown in this collection show that floral can and should be taken to new dimensions. Hopefully we will see more of this in the spring shows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment